Frequent Questions

Who do I contact to become involved in the Superfund program?

EPA knows that the idea of having hazardous waste in your community may be troubling, so it does everything in its power to keep communities involved in and informed about the Superfund cleanup process happening in their backyards. To find out how you can become involved, contact the Regional Community Involvement Coordinator for the site. You may also consider forming an EPA Community Advisory Group (CAG). The purpose of a CAG is to provide a public forum for community members to present and discuss their needs and concerns related to the Superfund decision-making process. If you live in a community with a DOD or DOE installation that is conducting environmental restoration activities, you may want to contact the head of the installation about joining a Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) or Site Specific Advisory Board (SSAB), respectively. These boards were established to provide a forum for the community, the installation, and regulatory agencies to discuss and exchange information on environmental management issues. These boards also give stakeholders the opportunity to provide input on the cleanup at the affected facility. Over the years EPA has developed numerous resources designed to help communities feel as comfortable as they can about the Superfund program. For more information about these resources, please see the following:

Concerned Citizens Resources - information, tools, and resources that communities most often request. 

Superfund Today: Focus on Risk Assessment - an issue of the Superfund newsletter that explains how EPA estimates the risk a site poses to human health and the environment now and in the future, and how the risk assessment is used to make cleanup decisions.

Superfund Today: Focus on the Community Advisory Group (CAG) Program - an issue of the Superfund newsletter that explains how concerned citizens can become involved in the Superfund process by becoming part of a Community Advisory Group (CAG).






Have more questions? Submit a request